Re: [Icehouse] Suggestions for future Icehouse Game Design Competitions

  • FromDale Newfield <dale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 05 Nov 2009 02:25:30 -0500
Bryan Stout wrote:
I just disagree with either of these propositions: a) having
submitters vote is bad;

I also disagree with that, but 1> if they're not allowed to vote for their own game there should be no penalty to their game when theirs does not appear on their ballot (otherwise it helps them not to vote) (condorcet I believe handles that nicely), or 2> if they're allowed to vote their own game, it should be made clear to all the entrants that this is allowed, so they can all cancel each other out (unless some agree their own game is not the best).

b) if only submitters vote, it's worthless.

It sure does sound like that's what I was arguing, huh? Put that black and white I think I also disagree...but if we think we're not likely to get above a 2:1 ratio I think we should at least hone the stated purpose a bit. In this case it's more of a collective "let's help the game designers improve their games" session than a way to select a single winner. I think others on this thread have given this more detailed thought than I have, and I think that y'all will figure out what the right direction is from here, so I'll shut up now.

-Dale