Re: [Icehouse] Suggestions for future Icehouse Game Design Competitions

  • FromAnthony Kapolka <anthony.kapolka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 4 Nov 2009 22:56:35 -0500
> From: Bryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>

> That's really cool!  What sort of class is it that you are having them
> design Icehouse games for, Anthony?  What kind of school is this for?

This is a first year intro to college seminar - You can see the
syllabus here: http://mathcs.wilkes.edu/~kapolka/cp/cp09.pdf - I am
using games as the vehicle for discussing lots of things and getting
initial exposure to basic skills.  In the past I had students design
games without pointing them at icehouse pieces and I found much of the
time was spent manufacturing game components rather than in designing
the games - so this time I latched onto icehouse as a way to start
closer to the goal.

I also appreciate that twenty entries may not be manageable - but I
don't know that I agree that good competition requires a specific
ratio of judges to entries - although the democratic scoring model
would need to change.  I suspect as few as three experienced gamers
could manage a credible evaluation...

But my primary interest is to have the games designed "published" on
the wiki - as communication of the results of work is a critical step
in the academic process... so whatever happens with regard to the
contest, the games should appear for you to look at in about a month.

Thanks!