Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Must draw first?

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 05 Oct 2007 16:29:19 -0700
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:55:00 -0500, "James Hazelton" wrote:
> The first is on any "Draw" New Rule. It says "The person who played this
> card should immediately draw extra cards..." If Drawing was allowed at any
> point in the turn, "Draw" cards would not mandate that the new rules be
> observed immediately. In a game where Drawing was allowed at any time,
> "immediately" would not be a necessary part of this text.

You'd still need some clarification that the rule applies to the
player of the new-rule card, (even if that player had previously
satisfied the "draw" portion of his/here turn).

> "On your turn...
> 1) Draw the number of cards currently required.
> 2) Play the number of cards currently required.
> 3) Discard down to the current Hand Limit (if any).
> 3) Discard Keepers down to the current Keeper Limit (if any)."

But Andy's "Ask Andy" video on the hand limit clearly demonstrates
that the hand limit can be observed before the "play" portion of the
turn is complete. So the order above can't be interpreted as strictly
as you might.

So I don't see that either of these pieces of evidence strongly
contradict the "may draw after playing" interpretation. But it's
definitely a place for Andy to rule.

Meanwhile, has anyone come up with a situation without any Blanxx in
play where there's any advantage to playing before drawing? All of the
relevant limits are suspended for a player's turn, so they don't come
into play here.

-Carl