Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Hand Limits Optional

  • From"Bryan Stout" <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 08 Aug 2008 10:28:48 -0400
In the sentence,
"During your turn, you may ignore the Hand Limit, as long as you discard all but 2 of your cards when you end your turn."
the phrase "as long as" reinforces the "may" to indicate the optional nature of the Limit.  If it were not supposed to be an option, the sentence could read,
"During your turn, ignore the Hand Limit.  Discard all but 2 of your cards when you end your turn."
This optional nature of Limits during your turn felt wrong to me at first.  But the more I looked at the phrasing on the cards, the more I was convinced that that was the intention.  (Andy's YouTube video helped a lot too.)  It's possible that earlier editions had different phrasing, and a different intention, but I'm now convinced that optional Limits during turns is the intention for Fluxx 3.1.

Of course, in our own games we can make house rules to play the way that feels best to us.

Regards,
Bryan