Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Draw First + Other things & Clarification

  • From"Vincent Povirk" <madewokherd+8cd9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 7 Nov 2008 19:02:54 -0600
I've been playing it this way for Inflation / 2=1; 1=2 for years,
where my version of that card has the following text:

Any occurrence of "1" on a card is treated as "2".
Any occurrence of "2" on a card is treated as "1".

If you think of the cards as applying in a consistent order, it
doesn't matter which order you choose. That was the argument I've been
using. I'm not forced to admit that the argument is flawed because no
such thing exists in Fluxx. You simply look at the rules and act
accordingly.

For reference, Inflation (technically mine is named X=X+1) says this:

Any time a numeral is seen on another card, add one to that numeral.
For example, 1 becomes 2, while one remains one.
This does affect the Basic Rules.

So I'm going to make a last-ditch effort to save this with an example.
Say I have Inflation and 1=2; 2=1 in play, and I need to decide how
many cards to draw during my turn.

The Basic Rules say I should draw 1 card during my turn. As in there
is a 1 printed on that card.

Inflation says that any time I see a numeral on another card, I should
add one to it. So I draw 2 cards.

The text on 1=2; 2=1 says that any occurrence of 1 on another card
should be treated as 2. 2 and 1 are both numerals, and they are on a
card that is not Inflation so I should be treating them as 3 and 2.
Which means I should be treating the 2 on the Basic Rules card as a 3.
I draw 3 cards. Yay!

I see no contradictions here, and as far as I know I'm doing this
correctly, with no special ordering of rules, just looking at all the
rules in play and deciding what should happen.

I challenge anyone to point out a flaw in my reasoning, or a
consistent alternative interpretation where I do not draw 3.

Vincent Povirk