Re: [Icehouse] Xeno color mapping for Homeworlds

  • From"Tom Eigelsbach" <eigelsbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 5 Jun 2007 02:51:32 -0400

On 6/5/07, Joseph Peterson <jeepeterson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Blue=Cyan Obvious correlation
> > Red=Orange Hottest colours
> > Yellow=Clear Lightest colours
> > Green=Purple Both are one step from blue

This is the best I have heard.  I prefer Cyan to Blue and regularly
replace blue with cyan in my games.  So I naturally think that
Cyan==Blue is correct.  Red=Orange is natural.   Yellow=Clear is close enough.

Either way you have an "odd" association.

In another message Andy says:
"Here on our mantelpiece I have a full set of Trees, arranged in a spectrum:
Red Orange Yellow Clear Green Cyan Blue Purple. "

To me, Clear seems out of place in that spectrum.  In fact is doesn't
feel right in that spectrum at all.  I tend to line my pieces up
ROYGcBPbgWC  (c=Cyan, C=clear, g=grey, G=Green, b=Black, B=Blue)

-JEEP

Yeah -- Clear doesn't belong in the spectrum, and if it did, I'd place it between Red and Purple, just because in physics, they are the two ends of the visible spectrum, as the wee little wavicles go like so:
  • Purple (380-435nm)
  • Blue (435-500 nm)
  • Cyan (500-520 nm)
  • Green (520-565 nm)
  • Yellow (565- 590 nm)
  • Orange (590-625 nm)
  • Red (625-740 nm)
Anyway (now just babbling while half asleep at 3 a.m. after having gotten up to go to the bathroom and then having stopped at the computer on the way back to bed...), I was thinking of what Homeworlds would be like for color-blind folks, and how the mapping could go using White, Black, Clear, and Grey.  heh heh heh

Hey, it's great to have so many SDG folks on the list.  Cool!  Ok, back to bed.

--Zoltar