RE: [Icehouse] Re: wwNEWS - Twin Win at HersheyPark

  • DateFri, 07 Sep 2007 10:30:39 -0700
Dude, go for it! Your class might have a significant influence on the
final rankings (as they outnumber the rankings that I currently have!);
but I have no objection to that whatsoever. Further, there's nothing in
the rules that in any way restricts who can judge, so I do not believe
we designers have a say either way. Maybe we could try to persuade you
not to have them submit rankings--but that is seriously lame, in my
opinion; and I will try to shout down, embarrass, and generally snub
anyone who raises an objection to your kids judging.

All that said, I would encourage you to tell them to be their own
judges. Maybe have them do it in secret or quietly or separately--you
know them better than I do. But I would want to avoid any instances
where an individual's personality influences another person's rankings:
the games should be judged as they stand, on their own, without any
kibitzing or persuasion from other judges.

But, again, we can't STOP that from happening; so it will be up to you
to decide if you want them to rank separately or as a class or in
assigned groups or in their own cliques or whatever. But we'd prefer
individuals in isolation, when the ranking begins (like any voting,
basically).

As a final "protective" note, you might want to submit their rankings
all together, in one e-mail from you. That way, they do not have to
reveal personal e-mail addresses (and I can't be accused of collecting
personal e-mails from minors) or make one-time GMail/Yahoo/Hotmail
accounts. Just be sure each judge is named or, at least, nicknamed, for
their own auditing purposes on the IGDC page.

Last (procedural) point: who thinks it should be renamed to the
"IceHOUSE Game Design Competition," which is how Andy is referring to it
(it's been "Ice Game Design Competition" as long as I have known about
it). I can redirect the page, so current links won't break or anything.
Thoughts?

David