Re: [Icehouse] Does the IGDC matter?

  • From"Jorge Arroyo" <trozo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 22 Feb 2008 00:58:47 +0100
The problem with theme and icehouse or piecepack games is more that the components are too simple to convey the chrome the rules would need to really convey a heavy theme. That's why abstracts are a perfect fit for these systems. It's not so much about the pretty pictures (I do think both game systems look really nice), but about customized components that help portray a certain theme with more complex rules in a manner that makes sense when playing. Ultimately you have to add other componentes like customized decks (like Martian Gunsllinger needed badly) to create a real themed game.

In my designs I usually start with a theme and then see if mechanics derived from that theme are interesting. Even VF was like this (just as Ryan explained to his class), even though mechanically and rules wise the game is more in line with the abstract games.

-Jorge