[Icehouse] Does the IGDC matter?

  • FromJames Hamilton <spamcan210@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 21 Feb 2008 00:36:34 -0500 (EST)
Wow, this list was very busy over the last 60 hours or so. And I think all the talk can be boiled down to one issue: how to get more (new) people involved in the IGDC. For no matter which voting method you use, more voters will generate a more satisfying result. However, I'm not sure how to do that. I, for one, don't care too much about judging new games -- I want to play games that are already out there, games that play well, and that have been played many dozens of times before. And honestly, how many games like that are on the wiki? Like it or not, the games published in Playing with Pyramids and 2HOUSE are the only ones that ever get played with any regularity, because they are the only ones most people know about. The only way I know to change that is to publish more well-tested games in a physical, paper medium so people have something to put in their hands. I don't want to have to go online and print a bunch of rules every time I want to try a new game -- most places I play don't have internet access. I want to be able to flip open a book/pamphlet and pick one.

I'm just saying there are probably many people like me who don't know many games and therefore feel no interest in helping create MORE. Maybe that's the secret; convince me why I should worry about new games and more people like me will judge the next batch of 'em.

Apathy is easy; caring is hard.