Re: [Icehouse] IGDC rankings idea

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 20 Feb 2008 17:00:14 -0500
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:52:26PM -0500, Dale Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Marc Hartstein wrote:
>
>> Might it be preferable to just allow a "tie" situation when there's a
>> circular ambiguity?
>
> It'd be a bit unsatisfying to say there's a seven-way tie for 1st place in
> an eight-way contest.

Heh, yes, it would.

How many people, as a function of the number of options, is necessary to
get a decent Condorcet result?  I'd think even 12 people should be able
to do more than eliminate one entrant among 8: unless there really isn't
a preference within the group.

But, really, this just makes me think the discussion I observed
else-thread regarding whether a single-winner competition is the best
approach to meet the goals of the IGDC is worth taking very seriously.