Re: [Rabbits] "That's just gay" comment

  • FromMad Hatter <angry_hatter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 8 Sep 2006 01:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
> The thing is this: "gay" has been used to mean "bad"
> for a long time
> now.  It's ingrained into the culture.  Every
> morning I wake up, I get
> to be reminded, "Oh yeah, that's right, my own
> culture says that I'm a
> bad person for simply being alive".
>
> It's not just one time by one stranger on one
> mailing list.  But every
> time reminds me of all the other times.  I didn't
> choose to be who I
> am, but each one of us can choose what we type in an
> email, whether or
> not to edit it before we send it, and whether or not
> to send it at
> all.
>
> Common courtesy and kindness to others takes just a
> few seconds of
> your day but it makes life better for everyone.

It's also been used to mean "Happy" and similar even
longer.  Words can have more than one meaning and it
doesn't mean that all meanings are on in the same.  I
don't assume all gay people are happy go lucky or even
pleasant.  I'm bisexual and if someone saw something
dumb and said "Oh man, that's Bi"  I see no reason at
all that I would take offense.

I'm also white.  WHen someone says they told a "LIttle
white lie" I don't get upset and berate them for
saying all whites are liars or that being white is the
same as being a liar.  I take words in their context,
I undertsand what people mean and I don't let
something as small the way someone combines their
gutteral noises knock me off kilter.