Re: Gamer bar -- was: Re: [Rabbits] no more hobby store.... I am sad

  • FromMad Hatter <angry_hatter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 7 Aug 2007 07:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
I'm a bit surprised myself that you don't see any
drinking gamers where you are.  Maybe it's an area
hting, but I have always associated over 21 gamers
with drinking.

The point of a strategy game, or any game for that
matter, is not about a "mental challenge" so much as
it is socializing and having a great time.  Both of
those things are something I tie greatly to drinking.
No, alcohol need not be present to have a good time,
but I hardly see it as something to inhibit said
festivities.

Especially in the case of role playing games do I see
alcohol as a great boon.  People let loose those
roleplaying inhibitions when they have a pint or two
and are much more relaxed and worry a lot less about
looking or sounding silly when they speak and act in
character.

You sound to me, and no offense meant at all, like
someone who either does not drink or does not do well
with the drink.  It seems to me that some of the most
vocal people against alcohol are, ironically, people
who have no idea what it feels like to be a few pints
down and really are just going on what they have been
told about it and the irresponsible drinkers they have
seen.

As for the restaurant bit, yes it can be very
difficult to make money with a restaurant.  The best
way to do well is high volume sales.  Now if we are
talking about a gaggle of roleplayers at each table,
ordering a round of chili fries and mini burgers every
fifteen minutes (Yes, I am exaggerating) then there
you have your high volume sales.  I myself have been
scouting for a good place to open up an eatery/game
store for some time as the two businesses give each
other great support.

I have to say, however, I see no reason to separate
the bar and restaurant areas.  Just put a few tourney
tables in your "pro shop" area for the weekly pokemon
tournaments and such.  No need to have the little
rascals running around the restaurant all the time.
Have their events in the storefront and leave the bar
area for the adults who would spend several hours late
into the night there hinting for treasure and arming
themselves to defeat the Arch Lich and what not.  In
my experience these are the kinds of gamers that are
going to be run off by children anyhow.

Yes, there are a lot of well behaved children, but if
you are going to get a bit from both camps I would
just rather take none from either.  Adults with their
own income are going to, in general, spend more than
kids leeching their parents money.  I really do love
kids who play games and are well behaved, but you
can't please everyone.

I think it's a good in between.  Have the bar for
adults and events throughout the week in the
storefront for kids.