Re: Gaming and Drinking [was: Gamer bar -- was: Re: [Rabbits] no more hobby store.... I am sad]

  • From"Rick Castello" <rick@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 8 Aug 2007 13:16:29 -0700 (PDT)
     Seems nearly about time for a move to the Something list,
     if the thread continues, no?

On Tue, August 7, 2007 7:15 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> There are games I play simply for the social reasons.
> They are generally simpler, faster-moving games, like Volcano,
> IceTowers, or Jungle Speed.  I could imagine these games going very
> well with a pint of beer, to be sure.  But to me at least, games like
> (say) go, Settlers of Catan, Icehouse, or even Zendo are all about
> the strategic and/or mental challenge, and I'm totally focused on the
> game while I'm playing it.  There's still room for friendly chatter,
> but I wouldn't want anything else getting in the way.

<snip>

> Again, I am not sure I agree with you here, but here again I think it
> depends on the type of game.  I really can't imagine alcohol being
> anything but a hindrance for a complex game with lots of rules (like
> D&D) or a "heavy", serious LARP.  On the other hand, a silly role-
> playing game like Ninja Burger could certainly be helped along by a
> beer or two (or sake, in this case!).

     All the discussions about alcohol and gaming so far seem to be
     centered on the "pro" side saying, "I like some to relax", and
     the "against" side saying, "No thanks, I can't focus enough if
     I drink".

     I'm a huge fan of just about any sorts of games, whether it be
     tabletop RPGs, board or card games, or the like - though lately
     I seem to be into games with more and more chits... :D

     I'll have a beer or two while I play... or sometimes I won't.
     But it's rare that even if I have two beers while playing a hot
     and heavy strategy game like Puerto Rico, that the amount I drink
     will affect my ability to play the game at the level I like.

     (And I'm pretty darn competitive - just ask my wife!)

     I think perhaps the discussion is framed in the way it has been,
     because as someone pointed out, the "non-drinker-gamers" are less
     likely to drink *at any time*, and so, having *a* beer may very
     well be enough to put them off their game.

     Anyone who's more accustomed to social drinking now and then is
     likely *not* going to be affected much (or at all) by a beer or
     two during a game.  (Non-drinkers may claim otherwise - but
     unless the game involves fine micro-motor skills, this has been
     my experience and observation)

     Again, I'm only making the assumption that we're talking about
     mild, social drinking while playing games... not about doing
     kegstands and playing drinking games like "drink every time
     anybody says the word 'draw'!".

     -Rick
     Santa Cruz, CA Rabbit