Re: [Rabbits] Top posting

  • FromMarnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 9 Nov 2010 00:52:28 -0500
On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:29 AM, "Benjamin F. Klahn KSC" <bfklahn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Look, this is a stupid argument, I'm done. I'm not going to change the
> way I converse with hundreds of other groups and individuals for one
> confused guy on a mailing list somewhere.

Actually, it's not one confused guy.  Most lists I'm a member of strongly frown on top-posting, for the very reasons I mention.

> If you need context scroll
> down,

You miss the point entirely.  Scrolling down will give me *general* context.  It will not let me know which part of a long message you were replying to.

Simple example:

-----
From: Bob
Yes.

Alice wrote:
> Wasn't that new Looney Labs game
> great?
>
> Oh, BTW, there's this new sushi
> place. Shall we check it out?
-----

I've seen messages like this many times.  Scroll down all you like, but there's no way to tell which part of Alice's message Bob is replying to.

> it's easier to have one person who needs it scroll down to be
> reminded of what the conversation is instead of having everyone scroll
> past something they've already read.

So trim your quotes appropriately.  There's no reason to quote the whole thing if you're only responding to a line or two.

> If you don't like top posting check out message grouping. All the
> modern e-mail clients do it, gmail, thunderbird, outlook, etc.

I love message grouping.  It serves an entirely different purpose, though, and is absolutely irrelevant to this discussion.

Top-posting loses information.  It breaks conversational order.  It is harder to read and harder to follow.  Don't do it.

> Regards,
> -Benjamin

Best,
--