Re: [Rabbits] Top posting

  • From<karlvonl@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 9 Nov 2010 13:45:49 -0500 (EST)
Joshua Kronengold wrote:
>"Usenet style" is the standard for this list

The closest I could find was "Reduce quoting and keep signatures lines to a reasonable length". One could top-post and still reduce quoting.

> (and most other
>conversational mailing lists, and Usenet, and, historically, the
>standard conversational style for Internet email prior to the
>commercial services like AOL jumping into the pool)

Perhaps, but this is not Usenet. Nor is it 1994. And I doubt these "other conversational mailing lists" have much more success in preventing people from top-posting, unless they have heavy-handed moderation in place. Times change, conventions change.

> you don't use
>top posting on a list whose conversational style is threaded and
>quoted.

How do you determine the list's proper conversational style? Absent a mandate in the list's official policy statement, I would argue it would be determined by common convention. So if most replies on the list are top-posted, then top-posing is the standard for the list.