Re: [Rabbits] Top posting

  • FromMarnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 9 Nov 2010 01:14:40 -0500

On Nov 9, 2010, at 1:04 AM, Kimberly Terrill <kiter5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Simple example:

-----
From: Bob
Yes.

Alice wrote:
> Wasn't that new Looney Labs game
> great?
>
> Oh, BTW, there's this new sushi
> place. Shall we check it out?

AND Maybe Bob could have said "Yes, the new game is great."- and Top Posting would have worked.

I think it's more accurate to say that in that case, top-posting would have been *compensated for*.  Sure, you can work around that particular deficiency, but why should you have to when better alternatives exist?

  I think maybe we should demand full, complete sentences, too.

Why?  A simple yes or no will do the trick -- if it's in the right place.

I always figure if I can't tell exactly what said, it's either not a big deal or I can ask for clarification.

Sure, but that takes another round trip, and clarification is not always forthcoming.  Why not just write clearly -- and position replies properly -- in the first place?

Note: I use the word "properly" for several reasons, among them being that conversational order is preserved.  Contrast:
-----
Bob wrote:
> What color is the sky?

Blue.