Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse / Treehouse forum?

  • FromAlan Anderson <aranders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 9 Mar 2008 16:47:15 -0400
On Mar 8, 2008, at 10:04 AM, David Artman wrote:

Yes, you can set a Google Group to behave like a normal mailing list... And I realize some confusion, here: I and other haves conflated groupware with web forums.

[insert suitable expletive here]

I feel like channeling Emily Latella here. "Oh. That's very different. Never mind."

As I watched things develop at the time, Yahoo Groups began as mailing lists, with the ability to archive and read (and respond to) them using web browsers. The Yahoo function wasn't exactly a clone of the egroups mailing list service, but it was close. Google Groups was originally a web-based Usenet interface, with significant enhancements in the past few years to turn the paradigm around and make it possible to think of the web application as a primary interface with email and classic newsgroups as an add-on. It still works best with the rest of the internet if you treat it as a web front end to an email- or nntp-based system.

Neither of them is anything like what I imagine most people think of when they hear the term "web forum". Using the wrong word for a concept and then berating folks for being wilfully ignorant when they don't immediately agree with you is not a good way to accomplish anything (except perhaps to reinforce your reputation as a malcontent). It's very frustrating to find out that the argument could have been avoided completely if you had called things by the proper name. I think it's also worth pointing out that your description is backwards from the way things developed: such a group is more of a mailing list with a way to access it via the web, rather than a web forum with a way to access it via email.