Re: [Icehouse] Binary Homeworlds help needed

  • FromJ B Bell <tquidca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 13 Feb 2009 08:05:51 -0800

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Don Sheldon <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/13/09, miyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do have a Homeworlds question.  Can a large ship attack and turn another
> large ship?  the rules I read online said the attacked ship had to be
> smaller than the attacker to be defeated (therefore ties would just be
> stalemates).  That is how I taught my students this week but I wondered if
> it was correct.

>From the rules: "You CANNOT take control of an enemy ship if it's
LARGER than the largest ship you own in the system."  (Emphasis mine.)
 Yes, a large ship can capture a large ship.

> I realized I had already screwed up one rule. I thought you could construct
> any color ship.  I had missed the part about needing a ship of that color in
> the system already.

I made this mistake in my first few games too.  It changes things a
lot.  The game becomes far less strategic if you allow this.  Glad you
caught it.

I also made that mistake for actually rather a good number of games with my friend who learned it with me. He got bored with the correct rules! Besides being a faster game, having green able to build anything makes the blue pieces kind of pointless.

--JB