Re: [Rabbits] Donate Games to Ziggurat Con in Iraq

  • From"Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 20 Apr 2007 00:30:00 -0500

That's all great.  The Looney News was slated to go up the very next
morning, and there's not a lot of space in that announcement.  We had VERY
little time, and very little space to throw together an announcement to
this effect, and it was deemed rather complex and lengthy to describe the
machinations and limitations of our shopping cart, to wit:

SuperFRED doesn't know how to automatically give free shipping, so he'll
charge you shipping, but it won't actually charge your card.  At the time
of the order, the card is _reserved_ but we will go in and take off
shipping, and the card will be _charged_ for the reduced amount.

That doesn't seem complex and lengthy to me. Indeed, much the same has
been added to the web page.  And in the original announcement saying
"Free Shipping - not sure how it will work yet, but will figure it out
and let you know" is even less long and complicated, but not even
hinting that you'd be giving free shipping in the first place was a
mistake.  Not just that, but it wouldn't be the first time a Looney
News has been late.

We didn't anticipate that we'd upset anyone by not making the whole plan
clear in the Looney News.  In hindsight, of course, we realize we could
easily put this in email to the Rabbit list here, but our immediate concern
was with the web update, where, unfortunately, our space is limited, and we
didn't have a lot of time to think it out.

I'm not understanding how space is limited.  The web is not like a
print publication where the page size is firmly fixed; on the web you
do have wiggle room to adjust the size of something if you need to.

We have be updated the Looney News to try to make all this a bit clearer.

See? You do have room after all

Hoping this will bring us all to a happier place about this opportunity to
bring some amusement to our troops serving in Iraq.

Of course, we could bring even more amusement to the troops if the
explanation paragraph said:

SuperFRED doesn't know how to automatically give take 20% off, so he'll
charge you full retail, but it won't actually charge your card.  At the time
of the order, the card is _reserved_ but we will go in and take off
the 20%, and the card will be _charged_ for the reduced amount.

There.  Not that complex and lengthy, is it?

And of course, seeing as you were going to give free shipping, you'd
have had to make an adjustment to every order, so giving 20% discount
wouldn't be any additional work over what you were planning anyway.

Timothy